Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Creative Ideas for Childcare

Whether to work or not after having a baby weighs on a lot of new mother's minds. I decided to return to work part-time (3 days) after having Matthew. I have been very happy with my decision.

I L-O-V-E being a mother and want to have more children in the near future. With this in mind, I have started to think about the cost of child care and how that will impact our budget and plans for the future. So...I started to brainstorm some creative ways to approach child care. Here is what I have come up with so far...

1. Find another mother who also works part-time and "swap" a day or two of child care
2. Offer child care myself for 1-2 neighbor children at more affordable rates than traditional daycare centers or in-home daycare centers. This would help out another family who is in a similar situation.
3. Find another couple with young children and split the cost of an in-home nanny.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I like all three options in a way because they all include more children. For my children, I want them to have that socialization. However, if I shared the work with another mother, I would definitely want to know them pretty well so that I could trust they were going to put some QT in with my child to help with their development and plan a lot of activities for stimulation. I wish you lived closer so we could do that kind of a trade!

Julie and David said...

Hey, I have an idea... Move close to us so we can make this happen!!!